Healthy Recipe Poached chicken
Poaching is a great way to cook boneless chicken pieces. You do not need fat or oil but the result of this cooking method is juicy, succulent chicken. Try this Healthy Recipe Poached chicken at Home.
- 750ml (3 cups) water
- 500ml (2 cups) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 3cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 1 whole star anise
- 500g single chicken breast fillets
- 200g (1 cup) long-grain rice
- Steamed baby pak choy, to serve
- Kecap manis, to serve
- 4 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced diagonally
- Place the water, stock, onion, ginger, garlic and star anise in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Add chicken. Cover. Set aside for 30 minutes to poach.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean work surface. Thinly slice across the grain. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Strain the poaching liquid through a fine sieve into a large jug. Discard the onion, ginger, garlic and star anise. Return 560ml (2 1/4 cups) of the poaching liquid to the pan. Discard the remaining poaching liquid. Add the rice to the pan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until rice is tender. Use a fork to separate the grains.
- Divide the rice and pak choy among serving dishes. Top with chicken and drizzle over the kecap manis. Sprinkle with the shallot and chilli to serve.