Sugar Cornbread Muffins
Make 20 to 24 small muffins Prep Time 10 minutes Total Cooking Time 40 minutes 123 calories/serving (approx.)
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal, or fine-grind polenta
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 plus 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Combine in a large bowl the dry ingredients: Cornmeal, flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside. In another bow, combine the wet ingredients: milk, melted butter, and eggs. Combine well then pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry are combined but not smooth. Keep the mixture lumpy.
- Grease your muffin tins and fill each cup close to the top. Once the cornmeal mixture has been spooned into all the muffin tins, take the remaining white sugar and sprinkle the tops of the cornmeal mixture. Feel free to add more sugar sprinkles if you want a thicker sugar coating after baking.
- Bake until golden at the edges, but 18 minutes. Cool after baking before removing from the muffin pan.