Handling on Electric Shock
Electric shock may injure the nervous system and burn the skin and deeper tissues. If powerful enough, the electric current may stop the heart or bring on ventricular fibrillation, a very serious type of irregular rhythm. Even low-voltage household currents can be dangerous, particularly when the skin is moist or wet. The longer the contact with the current the greater the danger.
What to do: Be careful not to contact the live wire yourself. If the switch is near, turn off the current at once. Better still, turn off the main switch. If someone has contacted a live electric wire out on the road, do not touch him with your bare hands. Use a dry, dead stick, a dry rope, or clothing to remove the live wire from the victim. Be sure whatever you use is dry; otherwise you may be electrocuted in trying to save the victim.
First aid: Once the electrical circuit has been broken begin artificial respiration at once. Meanwhile, have someone call a physician. Continue artificial respiration as long as may be necessary. If the heart has stopped, press sharply over middle of the chest pushing vigorously about 60 times a minute. This closed-cardiac massage may start the heart going again. Continue until the pulse is regular and strong.